Florida Studio Theatre is currently seeking the following Full Time positions:
- Assistant Box Office Manager
- Associate Artist
- Teaching Artist
- Director of Education
- Properties Supervisor
- Lead Carpenter
- Costume Shop Assistant
- Development Assistant
As well as the following Part Time/hourly positions:
- Facilities Technician
Scroll down for job descriptions, qualifications, and how to apply.
Benefits for Full Time Staff: Health Insurance (including optional vision and dental) after two months, 401k with Employer match after one year, Comp Tickets, restaurant discount, paid vacation/PTO, paid Holidays, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, and more.
Florida Studio Theatre is working towards becoming a more inclusive and accessible organization. FST is thus committed to developing a work environment that is reflective of the diverse world that it serves. Applicants from all populations and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Consideration for employment will be given to all applicants without regard to race/ethnicity, gender identity/sexual orientation, age or ability.
ASSISTANT BOX OFFICE MANAGER
Ideal Start Date: July 1, 2023
Florida Studio Theatre, a professional LORT D regional theatre in Sarasota, FL is seeking an Assistant Box Office Manager for its 5-theatre complex.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ticket sales
- Communication and enforcement of ticketing policies
- Daily analysis of ticket sales
- Constant communication with other departments
- Opening and closing the box office
- Creating and managing holds
- Reconciling box office receipts
- Hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of box office staff
The right candidate must have excellent communication skills, a positive and outgoing personality and be able to work in a fast-paced environment. Must be prompt, reliable, and detail oriented and have excellent computer skills.
Must be available to work days, evening, and/or weekends. Minimum of two years management experience strongly preferred. Knowledge of the Tessitura system is preferred. Must be able to work well independently and to manage, train, and motivate others.
Starting salary: $37,000-$40,000/yr
Tentative Start Date: August or September 2023
Florida Studio Theatre, a LORT D regional theatre in Sarasota, FL, is seeking a highly motivated and seasoned Associate Artist with significant Directing experience.
The right candidate will have at least 5 years of professional theatre experience or an equivalent. This person will Direct 2-4 plays a year on the Mainstage, Stage III and other series. Choreography experience is also a huge plus.
Teaching experience is also highly desirable, as this person will also lead classes for adults as part of the FST School for Adults.
We are seeking a company member who is authentic, passionate about theatre, responsible, a team player, flexible and confident.
This is a full-time, open-ended staff position with a yearly salary. The candidate selected must be available to relocate to Sarasota for the duration of their tenure.
Work is traditionally Monday-Friday from 9-6PM but evenings and weekends are necessary when on a show schedule.
An employee in this role must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Salary range: $45,000-$55,000/yr
Start Date: as soon as May 15, 2023
Florida Studio Theatre, a professional theatre in Downtown Sarasota is seeking qualified and experienced applicants for the position of Teaching Artist.
This individual will spend at least 50% of their time in the classroom, instructing students 5-18, with an emphasis on ages 7-12. They will help design and implementation specific Youth Education Offerings for the FST School.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Planning and teaching classes in house at Florida Studio Theatre
- Crafting and instructing workshops in local schools or community organizations
- Leading Summer Camp offerings
- Carrying out administrative responsibilities (such as submission of classroom reports, time-sheets, curriculum building, etc.)
- Training other Teaching Artists in the Florida Studio Theatre method of acting and FST Policies and Procedures
Candidate must have:
- A valid driver’s license
- The ability to pass a State of Florida Fingerprinting Process to teach in schools
The ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre performance, Education, or related field (or equivalent experience)
- Experience teaching in community-based settings, arts organizations, and schools
- Experience teaching youth of varying ages and backgrounds, including those with disabilities and English as a second language.
- Willingness to learn the required curriculum, lesson plans, and classroom management skills that directly reflect the Florida Studio Theatre method.
- Ability to create safe, inclusive, supportive, and creative environments for all students
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Any skills in dance and movement and/or music and piano a plus. Bilingual candidates (Spanish/English or other languages) are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $36,000-$42,000/ year
DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
Director of Education – Florida Studio Theatre, a LORT D regional theatre in Sarasota, FL seeks a Director of Education to oversee the Theatre's education programs. FST seeks a professional with both a background in teaching and acting; preferably an artist with training rooted in Stanislavski or a similar organic methodology. Additionally, this job will require a level of entrepreneurial skill to provide leadership for the program.
FST’s Education Department serves over 1000 students a year in more than 25 classes per week in acting, dance, musical theatre, Improv, play writing and more. In addition, the Education program offers a robust full day Summer Theatre program from June – August.
With classes in Acting, Dancing, Singing, Playwriting, and Improvisation, as well as Spring Break and Summer Theatre Camps, the FST School offers a wide range of opportunities for students year-round. FST’s classes for youth and teens are dedicated to nurturing individual creativity. We see young people not just as individuals, but as creative individuals.
- Responsibility for the artistic quality of FST School.
- Handling outreach with local schools and students to grow and diversify attendance in classes
- Heading all marketing for programs
- Hiring, training and supervising resident teaching artists, select guest artists and interns
- Serving as a teaching artist
- Budgeting and program development
- Overseeing enrollment of all classes
- Working in concert with the Producing Artistic Director to set and meet goals to grow the department
This position functions as the Producer of Education programs. The job requires a minimum three years in performing arts education (or equivalent professional experience), including extensive work as a teaching artist or teacher. This position also requires applicants have a strong background in acting and/or directing.
Salary: $42,000-$56,000/ year
Start Date: August 2023
Florida Studio Theatre, a fast-paced and dynamic professional LORT D regional theatre in Sarasota, FL, is seeking a Props Supervisor to serve as the Properties Artisan for its 5-theatre operation.
The Props Supervisor reports directly to the Technical Director, under the wing of the Director of Production. The job is primarily Monday-Friday, but nights and weekends are often required for changeovers, techs, previews, et al.
The Properties Supervisor is responsible for:
- Oversight and execution of props (research, buying, and building)
- Maintenance of the prop areas and equipment
- Supervision of the Props & Paint intern, volunteers and Overhire staff (as/if needed)
Paint experience a plus, but not required.
Starting Salary range: $36,000-$42,000/year, pending experience
Ideal Start Date: June 2023 or sooner
Florida Studio Theatre, a fast-paced and dynamic professional LORT D regional theatre in Sarasota, FL, is seeking a Lead Carpenter for its five-theatre operation.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of standard scenic construction and rigging; a solid knowledge of standard theatre terms and operations; ability to work from AutoCad Drawings; strong oral communication and listening skills; ability to multi-task and maintain flexibility; must be able to lift 75-100 lbs.; prefer experience working with people of varied skill levels.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain a safe and organized shop at all times
- Build and Install the majority of scenic elements for each theatrical production
- Manage working elements of the scene shop including, but not limited to, tool maintenance, consumables inventory, and general organizational of work and storage spaces
- Additional responsibilities a may become necessary
Starting Salary range: $36,000-$45,000/year, pending experience
COSTUME SHOP ASSISTANT
Costume Shop Assistant
Start Date: as soon as May or June 2023
Florida Studio Theatre, a fast-paced and dynamic professional LORT D regional theatre in Sarasota, FL, is seeking a Costume Shop Assistant for its five-theatre operation. This position works alongside FST’s Costume Shop Manager, interns and designers.
Design opportunities are possible - and likely. FST produces seven mainstage shows, three cabaret shows, a Stage III Series, five children’s shows and many new play workshops annually.
- Working on alterations and costume builds as assigned
- Creating and maintaining show-related paperwork such as costume piece lists, action charts, alteration notes, and maintenance lists
- Assisting in shop and stock organization and maintaining costume inventory
- Assisting with buying, returns and tracking purchases for season.
- Stitching and costume construction
Strong organizational skills and communication skills are a must - as well as the ability to interact kindly and professionally with artists of varying experience levels.
This position generally operates standard office hours Monday-Friday, with some nights and weekends required for events such as rehearsals, tech and runs.
Salary range: $35,000-$45,000/year
Ideal Start Date: As soon as possible.
Florida Studio Theatre, a professional LORT D regional Theatre in Sarasota, FL is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Development Assistant, office or customer service experience preferred. This employee will provide clerical support for the theatre’s fundraising department including answering phones, data entry, preparing reports, and special events related activities. Some projects may occur during the evening or on weekends.
Position is predominately Monday to Friday with some weekend availability.
Strong computer and clerical skills are a must.
This is a full-time position that is ideal for theatre and arts administration professionals who are somewhat early in their career and looking for excellent growth opportunities in non-profit work, communications, and business in a professional regional theatre setting.
- Primary Administrative Assistant to the entire Development Department
- Process weekly donations, acknowledgment letters and tax receipts
- Maintain foundation, corporation, and individual donor files, updating patron records as needed.
- Handle administrative details associated with meetings such as preparing reports, record-keeping and distributing minutes.
- Prepare meeting spaces, coordinate catering and refreshments for Department meetings and private lunches.
- Support grant writer with grant submissions and annual reporting
- Coordinate large mailings of letters/postcards including pulling mailing lists and preparing mail merges for annual campaigns.
- Coordinate with other departments on electronic communications for Department including webpage updates and email blasts as needed.
- Track expenses and budgets for Department , manage petty cash, receipts, and purchase orders.
- Answer phones, process payments and provide customer service to theatre patrons.
- Assist Development team in the planning and execution of special events, receptions, and donor activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Effective written communication skills
- MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Apps (Sheets, Docs, Drive)
- Familiarity with Database Software, such as Tessitura, a plus
- Able to lift and move trays and boxes, up to 40 lbs.
Valid driver’s license is required and automobile for pickups and deliveries.
Salary range: annually $34,000 to $36,000
Start date: ASAP
Florida Studio Theatre in Sarasota seeks a skilled Facilities Technician to join the 4-person Facilities Department at FST. The work is primarily repair and scheduled preventative maintenance followed by projects as needed.
M-F work week, primarily 12-4pm but flexible, with availability to come in on weekends if needed to address any Facilities related issues.
- Ability to lift 50lb
- Skills in plumbing, painting, HVAC, carpentry, and landscaping
- Communicating existing and potential issues with Facilities Manager
- Performing a variety of routine maintenance tasks and prioritizing work orders
- Experience in diagnosing HVAC troubles
- Ability to from ladders including a-frame and extension ladders.
- Access to tools (not a necessity)
- Basic understanding of CCMS or Upkeep software
Salary range: $20-$23/hr
Hiring experienced servers for our dining service. Florida Studio Theatre is a live professional theatre with several restaurants and we serve food before the shows. Looking for fun and energetic people to join our team serving food and drinks before our shows. Servers must be reliable, able to work in a fast paced environment and be available on evenings and weekends.
Salary range: $8/hr + tips
Hiring part-time dishwashers. We can work around your schedule. Great job for after school or as second job. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and be available on evenings and weekends.
Also in This Section
Explore on-stage opportunities for for FST's diverse programming including: Mainstage, Cabaret, Stage III, Children's Theatre, Reading Series, Understudy Roles, and more.
Professional Training Program
Launch YOUR Career With Florida Studio Theatre! Florida Studio Theatre’s Professional Training Program is an immersive and comprehensive way to bridge the gap between academic theatre and the professional world.
Submit a Play
Florida Studio Theatre is currently looking for submissions of full-length plays, musicals, and musical revues to be considered for possible inclusion in future Mainstage, Cabaret, and Stage III Series.